The location of the Golden Lamb directly at the city wall and at the bridge over the Drau was since time immemorial something special and privileged. From records of the Museum Villach it becomes apparent that our house was, so to say, a predecessor of the current finance office. Here at this strategic location the “entrance fees” for passing into the city were collected. An old pillar in the Cafe Restaurant Golden Lamb is a witness of this time and, with its guild sign of the venerable stone mason, the oldest standing relic of this time.
With pride we can say that the Golden Lamb was equipped with a hosting concession since the beginning of the 19th century. On 11.07.1853 the concession to brewing was awarded to the inn as well which in consequence was run as a guest and brewery house. As of 1.08.1865 the inn is advertised as having “good and neat passenger rooms”.
To the inn belonged, at least in 1885 a bowling lane, which is being described as a “gambling den” in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.
1892/93 aside of the inn the following businesses are in the building: Carriage and coach business, skinner, gold and silver works as well as a butcher with entrance in the Gerbergasse 4.